Saturday, February 17, 2007
 
HEINZ TOMATO KETCHUP CLASSIC
Even though Valentines day has past I found a recipe that would be a good one to make when that day rolls around again. I have not made this pie but it does sound intriguing, I found the recipe in the food section of the Sun-Sentinel.

LOVE APPLE PIE

Ketchup? No one will ever guess what that elusive flavor is. Good served warm with frozen yogurt or vanilla ice cream.

1/3 cup Heinz tomato KETCHUP
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
5 cups peeled, seeded and thin sliced yellow delicious apples
1 (9 inch ) unbaked pie shell
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the ketchup and lemon juice together. Toss with the apples. Pile the apples in the pie shell.

In another bowl. combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Using a pastry cutter, large fork or two knives cut in the butter until thorougly mixed. Sprinkle over the apples. Bake in the center of the oven 40 to 45 minutes until the apples are cooked through.

Makes 8 servings.

Have you ever made a pie using ketchup? If you do make it, let me know if your guests can tell what the secret ingredient is. To quote the contributor, Suzanne S. Jones, "You can't really taste the ketchup, but it gives the pie an elusive sweet/tart taste that leaves even the most discriminating guessing."

It's never to late for love, even if it's only a Love Apple Pie!


Comments:
Millie, if someone had asked me if there was a recipe for a pie using ketchup, I would have told them they're crazy! I may try this pie soon, just for the novelty of it!
 
This will be my dessert this weekend. I cannot imagine the addition of catsup to apples. I'm intrigued, and I'll let you know my husband's reaction.
 
This looks pretty good! I might even try it. One of these days you'll see on my blog the reasons I don't cook very often since I've been single again. lol
 
cabinwriter
Maybe if your husband "likes the pie" other brave souls will try it!!

Kay
I don't cook like I used to either, but I still enjoy reading the food column in the newspaper. Sometimes I even cut out the recipes but that's as far as I go.
 
Post a Comment


HOME
Powered by Blogger