Monday, June 13, 2005
 
CINDERELLA MAN
I saw Cinderella Man Saturday night and have not stopped thinking or talking about it yet.

The cast was outstanding, Russell Crowe as Jim Braddock did such a fine job as a husband, father and boxer. I was particularly moved when he spoke to his childred, he portrayed a man with a big sensitive heart.

The scenes with his wife, played by Rene Zellweger, showed so much about their loving relationship. There were scenes where the children were present to witness the love the couple had for each other. Beautiful. Mae, Jim's wife, stood by her man through thick and thin and there was plenty of thin.

Then there was Craig Bierko as Max Baer. I remember hearing about Baer when I was a child and remember that he was a good looking guy and a ladies man. Perfect casting.

Last but not least was Paul Giamatti as Joe Gould, Jim's manager. What a great job he did! I am so glad that he got this part because if he hadn't I would always think of him as "Miles" in Sideways. It did take me a while to see him in this role. Some of my friends did not realize who he was until we discussed it after the movie. He looked so different.

Not only have I been thinking about the actors who did such a fine job, I have been thinking about the depression. I was born in 1925 so at the height of the depression I was about 10 years old.

My father worked in a restaurant, never lost his job but money was tight. I did not realize we were poor because everyone I knew was in the same boat. One of the treats we had was when dad would bring home a salami, hang it in the pantry and we would take a slice now and then. It tasted so good, not like the salami you get in the deli today.

When my mother got her hands on a chicken, watch out! First she made chicken soup using those tiny chicken feet that were so sweet. Today when you buy a chicken you do not get the feet. I don't know what they do with the feet today, a chicken still MUST HAVE FEET!

When the soup was done she would roast some of the chicken, leave some in the soup and then make giblets out of the gizzard, heart,and liver.

The highest grossing movie last week was "Mr & Mrs Smith". "Cinderella Man" is not getting the audience, could be young people only want to see cops, robbers and car chases.

Maybe word of mouth with bring in the audiences. I'll be watching!


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME
Powered by Blogger